Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Student’s Prayer

I had earlier posted a TED talk by Sir Ken Robinson - Schools kill creativity!! Now here is an article in The Hindu on the same topic - Need for creativity in classroom.

Former Indian President Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam has quoted a young Chilean student's poem in the article. The boy, Umberto Maturana, became unhappy at school because he felt his teachers were making it impossible for him to learn. They wanted to teach him what they knew, rather than drawing out what he needed to learn. This beautiful poem reflects the young mind's thoughts. A must read for all parents.

The Student’s Prayer - by Umberto Maturana

"Don’t impose on me what you know,
I want to explore the unknown
And be the source of my own discoveries.
Let the known be my liberation, not my slavery.
The world of your truth can be my limitation;
Your wisdom my negation.
Don’t instruct me; let’s walk together.
Let my richness begin where yours ends.
Show me so that I can stand
On your shoulders.
Reveal yourself so that I can be
Something different.
You believe that every human being
Can love and create.
I understand, then, your fear
When I ask you to live according to your wisdom.
You will not know who I am
By listening to yourself.
Don’t instruct me; let me be.
Your failure is that I be identical to you.”

Courtesy: Thanks Manoj for sharing this!

No comments: